Monday, February 18, 2013

Packing -a poem



(My good friend, Lisa Johnson wrote this for her son who was packing to leave for two years on his mission)

Packing

I’ve watched as you’ve packed away your life from the last 18 years.  It all fits into 3 large plastic storage bins.

You’ve packed away clothes, shoes, sport uniforms, pictures, music, certificates and awards.  

I’ve watched as you’ve packed up the things that you will need for the next two years.  It all fits neatly into 3 suitcases.

You’ve packed white shirts, ties, suits, heavy duty shoes, socks and a few other necessities.  

It is humbling to see what little you will need over the next two years.

Before leaving you will shut down your phone, email and face book page.  Socially you won’t exist anymore.    

Or will you?

You are more than your social network and possessions. There is so much more to you than what those storage bins and suitcases hold.  You are a child of God, a brother, a missionary, my precious son.

Watching you pack has made me think about what it will be like when I die and go to heaven. When that day comes there will be no storage bins or suitcases to pack.   I can only take with me the knowledge stored in my mind, the testimony of my spirit and the consequences of my choices.  

I need to keep packing into my soul those things that I can take with me into eternity.
You are already doing that.  

In two years you will come home with the same 3 suitcases, but your heart and soul will be bursting at the seams with memories and experiences too numerous and precious to mention.  

And I will watch you unpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment