Monday, May 20, 2013

Transferred to San Miguel! May 20, 2013



We helped a lady fling poop water on the street to keep down the dust!
Andrew's new Green house!

Wow I didn't expect this, but I transferred! After the transfer meeting, we got in a bus, and weaved around volcanoes for 5 hours to San Miguel! My area is called Gavidia. Elder Cerrud is now a zone leader in Versalles and i got another "dad" Elder Granillo! He Is super awesome! He is from Mexico, and he knows like 7 words in English, so this is good for me to be forced to speak Spanish. Elder Granillo is seriously the most selfless and hardworking person I know! He is always asking how I am and talking to me. I am his first trainee, but his is ready to take on the task of trying to teach with a gringo who doesn't know whats going on. 
That's not entirely true in that I'm starting to figure out what people are saying. something that I'm noticing and I'm really excited about is that in my old area, everybody knew that I didn't speak much Spanish and they got in the habit of not talking to me much, but here, Im meeting so many new people that don't know that I don't speak much Spanish so I am expected of a lot more, so I am speaking a lot more and am forced to strain my ears and try to figure out what they are saying. In summary, I am learning a lot faster! 
      So, San Miguel! Is legendary for 2 things: How good the missionary work is here, and the heat!    This place is an oven! but water and my sweat rag is helping with that. The scientifically proven reason that it is so hot here is because the missionaries preach fire here! The work here is moving forward so fast! About everybody we talk to at least knows who we are. We have a list of like 20 referalls that we dont have time to look for because Elder Granillo has found a bunch of awesome families we are teaching! I am excited to be a part of this awesome zone and area! 
     Our house is pretty good. We have a lot of space! like 2 extra bedrooms to put stuff in. We are really close to a tienda (little store) and close to a lot of our investigators. Some reason we don't have water at night we we shower with buckets in the pila in the backyard at night. We don't have a cocinera (cook lady) in this area, but we can usually be confident that a member, or some random lady on the street will give us food. and if not, we are close to this restaurant called China fast food that is super good! and of course there are papusarias on every block! 
     I am super excited about this area! My goal here is to always try to be involved in the conversation, and try not to use my spanish as an excuse not to help out teaching as much. I know what I am teaching is true! We talked to this atheist kid, I feel so bad for him. I know that God created us and this earth for us because he loves us. He wants us to return to him. He sent Jesus Christ to pay for our sins and we can return through Christ, but we need to show our faith in him, repent, and be baptized and always remember him. The gospel is so simple, yet so beautiful! I am so excited to help others find happines through this gospel! If things go well, I will send home pictures of our baptism we have planned for these two girls!
  I hope all is well at home! Love Elder Flake
Mom I was talking about the LIGHTNING. Sorry, I spelled it weird. The lightning storms are crazy. 
 Andrew with his new companion, Elder Granillo and his trainer.
 Andrew with his new dad, Elder Granillo and first trainer, Elder Cerrud at transfers.
With Elder Granillo and some cows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment