Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween in El Salvador

 


Yep thanks mom I got the package 18 minutes ago so I'm excited to open it! I also just got a letter from Sister Gunter so that's nice of her. All is well here.

    So It was Halloween this week so that's kind of cool! It isn't really celebrated the 31 but the 2nd of November is the dia de los muertos, and the city cemetery is in our area so there was a ridiculously large amount of people going there to put flowers on the graves. So we went to work handing out pamphlets of the plan of Salvation and talking about eternal families. 
 
    We are working with this wonderful family, very humble, but wonderful. The mom, Dorys, her husband died a while ago so she is working to support her 4 kids that live in home. But they are super sincere and are really changing in their lives to prepare for baptism. We were teaching them one night out under the streetlight because they live in a tin hut, and her neighbor came over and asked us what we were talking about, we ended up talking about the Book of Mormon and what was amazing is we didn't teach it. Hermana Dorys taught about the BOM and testified and bore her testimony for like 20 minutes while we just sat there in amazement! They are super solid but their challenge is to get time off of work to go to church! Super frustrating!
 
  Me and Elder Ayala are doing better together. This is his second to last transfer and he wants to put  in some effort as he dies (finishes his mission).  I am learning a lot about teaching from him. He has a lot of experience and we are doing work. 
 
  So there's this street by our house that we've walked along many times and there is never people there. But this last week we found people there and they are all talking to me in English so I thought that's pretty cool. We have found out that there's this colony of people here that live in the USA but come down in November and December. As I have been here I have learned that probably 75- 80% of the people here in El Salvador have family in the states. It ridiculous!
 
  I love all you people! 
 
       Love Elder Flake

No comments:

Post a Comment